Divorce Articles Section
Finding Hidden Assets: Ways to be a Super Sleuther
This handy checklist can help get your personal, financial and
legal documents in order after your divorce.
- Make copies of all financial statements.
- Obtain copies of tax returns.
- Make duplicate copies of any computer files that relate to ownership
and financial matters.
- Obtain copies of current insurance policies.
Obtain copies of any wills and trusts.
- Make an inventory of contents in safety deposit boxes. Take
someone with you to witness. Take photos.
- Contact the county assessor to get a copy of any deeds and titles
for real estate owned.
- If you own a small business, get copies of financial journals,
ledgers, payroll, sales tax returns, and expense account disbursements.
- Obtain copies of any appraisals for artwork, antiques, jewelry,
and other collectibles.
- Videotape your entire house, including contents of closets.
- Obtain information on pensions for both you and your spouse.
- Obtain copies of at least three of your spouse's recent pay
- Obtain a current report of earnings from your local Social Security
office for both of you.