Divorce Articles Section
Mistakes Even Smart People Make
- Signing papers without understanding what they mean.
- Canceling or changing insurance policies without thinking through
- Withholding information from their lawyers because they now
think what they did or said might have been a big mistake.
- Going into denial about the process, withdrawing, or taking
it too lightly.
- Forgetting about the tax consequences of certain matters in
- Relying more on the advice of family and friends than on their
- Not having enough life and disability insurance to protect an
income stream they will depend on.
- Waiting too long to take action to enforce child and spousal
support that has stopped.
- Not seeking the advice of psychological and financial professionals.
- Not planning far enough ahead for health coverage after the
- Thinking that all participants are "fair."
- Dumping the case in the lawyer's lap and expecting good results.
- Letting emotions run away from the facts.